Wednesday, June 26, 2019
You may click on any small photo to obtain a larger version.
For a pre-52nd anniversary celebration we decided to visit the Ripley's aquarium at 288 Bremner Boulevard in downtown Toronto. The aquarium features several galleries (Canadian Waters, Rainbow Reef, Danderous Lagoon, Discovery Centre, The Gallery, Ray Bay, Curious Creatures, Planet Jellies, Life Support Systems, and Shoreline Gallery) as well as adventure themes. This report will combine some of the more interesting items on exhibit, but let's start at the entrance and a professional photograph.
Here is our brief video showing the Pacific Kelp Exhibit.
Here is our video of the RAINBOW REEF taken while standing on the moving walkway.
Passing through the DANGEROUS LAGOON and the DISCOVERY CENTRE, we arrived at THE GALLERY. Paired photos shown below include the Lionfish and Electric Eel, a white and a green Seahorse, two views of a Cuttlefish, Piranhas and a Spotted Eagle Ray.
Some displays at the RAY BAY and the CURIOUS CREATURES GALLERY had been observed at the previous exhibits. The PLANET JELLIES area was darkened and flash settings for cameras were prohibited. (I had used no flashes for my photos in any case.)
The pumping and filtration facility at the Toronto Ripley's Aquarium treats 5.2 million litres on site. There are 10 pumps. Ninety-five percent (95%) of the water used throughout the building is reused; kitchens and washrooms and evaporation account for the remaining five percent (5%). The temperature must be regulated. Salt and minerals are added as needed to meet the requirements of the creatures. Regular water chemistry testing is done for waste products, nitrogen/ammonia, chlorine content, phosphate levels and bacterial growth.
Youngsters enjoyed having their dead cells on their hands cleaned by the CLEANER SHRIMP. (Coral Reef Aquariums also benefit from the presence of CLEANER SHRIMP. Not only to they remove scraps of food from the bottom of the tanks, but they set up stations for removing parasites from friendly fish. They have also been known to control ich or white-spot disease.)